On my way to Jenny's Apartment in Tel Aviv I ran into this amazing outdoor book fair. What was even neater about it is how extensive its children's section was and how it used the space and the books to create community and a environment for learning. There were book shelves lined up around the perimeters filled with picture books. Near these shelves were blackest and be a bag chairs set up and families were sitting together either reading to children or just spending time talking together. It was a beautiful evening and there were many many young families who had gathered at this festival just to spend time together. It was really lovely to see. There was also a pirate puppet show and many children, parents and grandparents were gathered around the theater. It was a relaxed atmosphere and many toddlers and babies were there as well. I appreciated this free, family friendly, comment activity that was centered around books. Everyone there appeared engaged and I saw many children reading with their parents or independently. I had never thought about bringing the library outside but it might be a nice thing to try this summer!

warning! do not buy every great israeli childrens book you see. how will you get them home? im panicked about packing already.
ReplyDeletejust kidding! shipping is a great invention