It's crazy to think that less than 24 hours (I guess it was about 18) after I landed in Israel it was time to have my first day of Ulpan. I walked to HUC with my roommates and fortunately was awake enough to so some real Hebrew learning! We are using the same book I used last summer which is such a good review. Our teacher talked pretty quickly and I definitely didn't understand every word, but I got the main meaning of most of what she was saying. It was so exciting to have all the Hebrew rush back into my head so quickly. People told me that it would come back fast but I was still surprised that I even remembered how to write all the letters in script! I think this will be an excellent way to get into the mindset of both Hebrew and being a student again.
After class I decided to wonder to the Momila Mall down the street from HUC. There I bought myself a new notebook for class and asked the person where to find one al in Hebrew. It was quite a momentous moment! I am so excited to continue to practice Hebrew whenever I have a chance but we will see, a lot of Israelis enjoy practicing their English with Americans. Momila is a great, easy to get to mall and it was such a nice place to simply people watch, soak in the sun and start to take in the fact that these places, this language and this culture is going to be mine to explore for the the next year. It still doesn't feel quite real but it's only been a day. A wonderful day though, looking forward to the many more to come : )
I'm glad Ulpan is going well already! That's so comforting you are using the same book as last year. Super impressed that your Hebrew is all rushing back and I'm sure it will just keep growing throughout the year!
ReplyDelete