After class on Thursday I made my way to Tel Aviv for Friday morning's Gay Pride Parade! I spent the night at Jenny and Dan's and then the next morning we woke up for the festivities. It took about 40 min to walk to the parade and we could definitely feel that we were getting closer as time passed. We began to see people dressed in rainbow, flags were being held and displayed from buildings. There was a tangible buzz that filled the air of excitement and joy. Everyone was happy, it was a perfect day, hot and sunny but not too hot. We finally found the parade and jumped right in. Unlike the Boston pride parade where you watch floats go by from the sideline, in Tel Aviv everyone marches together! The streets were packed, there was lots of music and Dan, Jenny and I danced our way to the beach. The parade ended at the beach by the beautiful blue Mediterranean and the dancing continued. We then went on a search for more music and eventually found a stage where there were going to be musicians playing later in the afternoon. I decided not to wait around but to head back to Jerusalem early so I could go to Shabbat services with my group. Tel Aviv pride overall was a wonderful, joyous and fun experience. I didn't see a single protester and in fact, it felt like a giant party! In August, Jerusalem will have their own pride parade which I've heard is very different. I'm eager to go so I can see how they compare. I already have found many differences between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and I am so glad these cities are so close so I can continue to explore them both throughout the year!

No comments:
Post a Comment