Monday, July 7, 2014

Rosh Chodesh: Women of the Wall



Last week I got the opportunity to welcome the New Jewish month in a way I never have before: at the Western Wall/Kotel. My roommate and I woke up at six so that we could go to the Kotel to pray with the Women of the Wall. The Women of the Wall (http://womenofthewall.org.il/) is a passionate group of women who have been peacefully fighting for gender quality at the Western Wall for 25 years. For many years women could not sing out loudly, or wear prayer garments at the western wall. Although there has been some change, there are still many people, both male and female who don't believe that women should take an active role in prayer.  The Women of the Wall group meets every month for a morning mynion and sings prayers joyful and with Rurah (spirit) as they welcome the new month.

 I had been so excited to pray with this group and rightfully so; I felt powerful and connected to my roots in a way I never have before. I know that my Grandmother had been to the Kotel and she had been unable to pray out loud or while wearing a tallit and now, many years later, I am able to stand in the same spot wearing my grandma's necklace and my grandfather's tallit and pray on the shoulders of my incredible ancestors. It was quite an experience. 

Our prayer also started with a women blowing a whistle in Anat Hoffman's (the key organizer of this group) face as she attempted to focus on her prayer. After about 5-10 minutes of repeated obnoxious whistle blowing the women was escorted out of the area by a male policeman. There was a group of men on the men's side of the wall who were singing and praying very loudly right up against the wall, in order to distract us from prayer. However there were also lots of men who were praying with us from behind the women's section. these men were diverse both in age and in Jewish observance. I was so thankful that they were there and was glad that the group was being supported by men and women alike. 

It overall was a challenging, empowering and emotional experience. I was thrilled to pray with these women and to sing my heart out. I am looking forward to being part of this community throughout this year and supporting them and their cause even back in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment