Thursday, July 24, 2014

Israel Museum Feild Trip


 So as part of my summer coursework I am taking a fascinating Biblical History class. This class has nothing to do with learning the Torah stories (although it helps that I've taught some!) and much more to do with how do the events that happen in the Torah  compare to the archeological evidence of events that have happened in the past 3500 years. There is so much that is consistent and so much that is inconsistent and I am finding it immensely fascinating to finally be learning the history of the Jewish people and the land of Israel. 

Our class has a weekly lecture and a weekly feild trip. This past week we went to the Israel Musum and examined artifacts that were from the Bronze Age and Silver age mainly 2500-800BCE . My favorite find was a Collard Pithos ( Jug: See bottom Left Picture) which was from 1300BCE that was SO similar to the one my grandma had in her house growing up that my parents have now (See bottom right). My Grandma loved this jug and I remember her telling me that she bought it at some archeological market in New York and it was from Jerusalem and it was very very old. I have always been fascinated by it and have always wanted it in my home someday and it was absolutely mind boggling to see something so similar in a museum. I asked my professor about it and he said that there were Jars that looked like that for many centuries from 2000BCE-1000CE and there is no way of really knowing how old ours is or if it is in fact a replica. I don't really care how old is is but it was nice to reflect upon the times that my grandma would tell me stories about Israel and I know that she had a deep connection to this land. I am excited to be here for her and seeing this Collard Pithos was a fun way to bring her into my thoughts during my time at the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment