Monday, July 7, 2014

Isreal Update: This Past Week


                                         
So many people have been asking me, "How is Israel right now?" "Are there Riots?" "Is it safe?" There is a lot of information in the news that is making it hard for family and friends to conceptualize what my day to day experience is like in Jerusalem. The past week has been hard and it's been hard for a variety of reasons. Mainly because the situation in the middle east is complicated and I am powerless in it. It's also hard to not always know what is happening or to know what the future holds.
Last Tuesday was the day after the bodies of the three young boys had been found. There was a proufound sense of sadness thoroughout Jersalem and at HUC. I was, and am still sad. I expected this to be the mentality of others as well. 

That night, Tuesday night, I went to meet a friend at Kikar Zion on my way there I walked down Ben Yehuda Street where I first saw proubably a hundred angrey teenagers running in the streets saying afeful things about Arabs. Jenny and I went into a shop as they passed and she translated a bit for me. It was amazing to see such hate in the eyes of such young teens. It was upsetting. After they left to go in the other drection we continued our walk. we walked by lots of kids on birthright and families eating ice cream. Once in Kikar Zion I listened to a guy with dreadlocks play peace songs on his gutiar and stood in awe of the many soliders and police gathered in the square. There was also a beautiful candle memorial for the three boys. 

I was amazed at wide variety of feelings and activities all gathered in such a small space. Kids in rage, people in deep mourning, police and soldiers defending and then families and birthright kids just living their lives. It felt like such a microcosm of Israeli society as a whole. It was enraging, empowering, peaceful and normal all at the same time. weird. I was only at the square for about 10 minutes before i met up with my friend and grabbed smoothies but it has definitely stuck with me. This country is confusing and there is no denying that I am in the midst of it. Despite being close to action and energy I personally feel safe. I hope that things don't escalate further but for now I am enjoying my time here and learning to struggle with my relationship to Israel, the people, the land and  the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment