Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Tisha B'Av: A Poem

 This past August 5th was the Jewish holiday of Tisha B'Av a day of morning for the loss of the second temple. Its not a holiday I have particularly honored in my life. yet this year I struggled with the state of destruction in our current society, and in our Jewish community. I felt a great deal of sadness that day, then I got a really good hug and was inspired to write this:



Tisha b'Av I walk the streets
Adorn in black as my sweater flows against my skin
Walking through barren streets, empty stores: everyone's eyes on the sidewalk
My waterbottle swishes in my backpack filled with my nourishment for the day.
The fast: a paradox in my progessive Jewish identity
My heart heavy: my head filled
Rockets, Bombs, tractors, kidnaps -pain beyond pain
Longing for hope, Longing for peace
A pause, a moment, a child
 His yellow shirt smiles as blonde curls bounce
A moment of hope, a moment of peace
The day continues and the world returns

No comments:

Post a Comment